The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
- your name;
- your contact details, including email address, mailing address, street address and/or telephone number;
- your marital status and/or anniversary;
- your age and/or date of birth;
- your credit card details;
- your demographic information, such as postcode;
- your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behaviour;
- information about your access and use of our Site, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider; and
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We may collect these types of personal information directly from you or from third parties.
Collection and use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to contact and communicate with you; and
- for internal record keeping and administrative purposes;
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- our existing or potential agents or business partners;
- sponsors or promoters of any competition we run;
- anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
We may store personal information overseas. Where we disclose your personal information to the third parties listed above, these third parties may also store, transfer or access personal information outside of Australia. Unless we seek and receive your consent to an overseas disclosure of your personal information, we will only disclose your personal information to countries with laws which protect your personal information in a way which is substantially similar to the Australian Privacy Principles and/or we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to require that overseas recipients protect your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
How we treat personal information that is also sensitive information
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information that is given a higher level of protection under the Australian Privacy Principles. Sensitive information means information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional associations or memberships, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, health information or biometric information.
Sensitive information includes:
- an individual’s racial or ethnic origin,
- health information,
- political opinions,
- membership of a political association,
- professional or trade association or trade union,
- religious beliefs or affiliations,
- philosophical beliefs,
- sexual orientation or practices,
- criminal record,
- genetic information,
- biometric information that is to be used for certain purposes, and
- biometric templates.
We only collect, hold, use and disclose sensitive information for the following purposes:
- any purposes you consent to;
- the primary purpose for which it is collected;
- secondary purposes that are directly related to the primary purpose for which it was collected, including disclosure to the above listed third parties as reasonably necessary to provide our services to you; and
- if otherwise required or authorised by law.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Restrict: You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below.
Access: You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. In certain circumstances, as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), we may refuse to provide you with personal information that we hold about you.
Correction: If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Cookies and web beacons
We may use web beacons on our Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
Links to other websites
For any questions or notices, please contact us at:
Biodiversity Australia ABN 81 127 154 787
Last update: 1 January 2022